Earlier this week, I listed out a few of my summer goals and yesterday I told you guys about one of my favorite outdoor activities. Well today, I'm linking up with two great link-ups today and I'm combining the two! Shannon challenged us to think about 5 new things to do this summer and Kiki and Samantha want to know what some of our goals are!
Lately I've been challenged by a lot of posts where people are tourists in their own town. I've lived in Alabama for about 12 years now and while I've gotten to travel the state and lived in various spots whether it was in college or during the summer, there is still lots I haven't done. This summer I want to try and get out and be a tourist in my state. Here are 5 things I want to do this summer in Alabama!
1. Visit 5 Rivers in Mobile. This is the spot where the Mobile, Spanish, Tensaw, Apalachee, and Blakeley Rivers all come together and flow into Mobile Bay. There are waterways, woods, and wetlands. There is even the opportunity to kayak! Which was definitely on my list for this summer.
2. Visit the Audubon Bird Sanctuary on Dauphin Island. Recognized by the National Audubon Society as being "globally important" for bird migrations. Might bring mom along on this one, she is such an avid bird watcher. Plus, it's located on Dauphin Island, where there is again, an opportunity to kayak. I'm just saying.
3. Visit Little River Canyon in Fort Payne. This area is in the Southern Appalachians and is one of the deepest canyons east of the Mississippi River. There are waterfalls, hiking, canyons, and swimming areas.
4. Visit Monroe County's Old Courthouse Museum in Monroeville. I can't believe I've in Alabama for about 12 years and still haven't done this. Made famous by To Kill A Mockingbird, this is where the story took place. Most schools in the area take field trips to visit the museum and to watch the story come to life in a live play that actually takes place on the courthouse lawn.
5. Visit the U.S. Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville. I mean, combine my love of space and astronomy, museums, and wanting to always be a kid, this place just sounds like fun. Again, can't believe I still have done this one!
Have you ever been a tourist in your home state or town?
Do I have any Alabama readers that would add something to this list?
If I visited your state, what would be the one thing I should go do and see?
Welcome to SUMMER WEEK here at Polished Arrow! Seeing as Memorial Day was the unofficial start to summer, I thought it would be fun to have all posts this week summer related. Who doesn't love summer? It's the time for vacations, bright sunshine, the great outdoors, July 4th, adventures, cookouts, and more! So get ready, because we are about to kick it into full on summertime mode here. Join me and let me know if you are having any fun summer related posts this week! I would love to read them!
Write 31 Days
Grab a Button!
All photos on this website taken by me unless otherwise noted. Affiliate links on this page.